Imbolc: Spring 2023 celebrations at Wicklow NaturallyWicklow Naturally
Help celebrate the ancient Celtic feast day, Imbolc with Wicklow Naturally as members will mark the beginning of spring from Wednesday, February 1st to Monday, February 6th 2023 with various events and activities including a walking tour, producers market, Brigid’s Day Festival and sunrise yoga while our hospitality members menus will be Brigid-themed.
Imbolc is one of the four Gaelic seasonal festivals, along with Bealtaine, Lughnasadh and Samhain. The beginning of Imbolc is the first day of February, and for Christians, it is the feast day of Saint Brigid (Ireland’s patroness saint).
It is believed that the word Imbolc literally means ‘in belly’ (in the ewe’s belly) referring to lactating ewes and spring lambing. So, it certainly is an ideal time to celebrate the coming year and the renewal and regrowth that takes place in our farming and food business community.
St. Brigid’s Day was an important Irish festival that honoured fertility, blessings, and protection. Most people are likely aware of the widespread custom of creating crosses in honour of Saint Brigid. People believed St Brigid crossed on the eve of her feast day and gave blessings and protection to homes and farms where crosses were hung in her honour. Her new Bank Holiday on Monday, February 6th, 2023, is the perfect opportunity to celebrate Wicklow’s food, drink, and hospitality industries.
- Irish weaver Sarah Jenkinson will have a variety of Irish woven St Brigid’s Day crosses for sale from Wednesday, February 1st at Killruddery Farm Shop which is open seven days a week from 9 am to 5 pm.
- Nick’s Coffee has invited local artists to present their work in their shop on Main Street, Wicklow Town.
- Join Gilly and Brian for a special walking tour of Wildacres Nature Reserve on Saturday, February 4th where you will feel energised, inspired, and ready to take action for biodiversity.
- On Saturday, February 4th, Raw Chef Veronica O’Reilly will give samples of raw vegan treats from her latest book ‘Raw in a Cold Climate 2’ in Nick’s Coffee, Main Street, Wicklow between 12 noon and 2 pm.
- Take home a taste of Wicklow at the Wicklow Naturally Food and Drinks Producers Market on Sunday, February 5th at The Powerscourt Distillery from 12 noon to 5 pm. There will be a fabulous range of Wicklow Naturally produce to sample and buy including Olly’s Farm, Wildacres, Wicklow Brewery, Le Paysan, Coolattin Cheddar, Nibbed Cacao, Mic’s Chilli, Caffrey’s Sauces, Janet’s Country Fayre and more.
- The Powerscourt Distillery Brigid’s Day Festival takes place on Sunday, February 5th from 12 noon to 5 pm with folklore talks, discussion panels, whiskey masterclasses, food and whiskey pairings, mini tours and tastings, and live music from the Victory Dolls.
- Learn how to make your very own St Brigid’s Cross at Beyond the Trees at Avondale. The workshops take place on Sunday, February 5th and Monday, February 6th at 11 am and 12 noon.
- Móinéir Winery Tour and Berry Wine Tasting, with Wicklow Cheese & Chocolate Pairings, Guided by Winemaker & Co-Founder takes place at various times on Sunday, February 5th.
- Improve your mind, body and breathing with beach yoga and hot cacao with Nibbed Cacao on Monday, February 6th.
- Feed your appetite with Brigid-themed menus at many of our hospitality members including the Glenview Hotel and Leisure Club, Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge, and the Wicklow Brewery.
- Throughout the festivities, Brigid-themed food and cocktail recipe ideas will be shared by our members across Wicklow Naturally’s socials.
Places are limited on tours and selected events. For more information about individual events please visit our event page here. To book a dining experience at any of our members’ eateries, please contact the hotel or restaurant directly. All events are subject to change without notice and may be dependant on weather.
Join in the conversation – Use the hashtags #BrigidWicklow #ImbolcWicklow #WicklowNaturallyImbolc #StBrigidsDay #LáFhéileBríde and follow us on social media for event news and updates.
About Wicklow Naturally
Wicklow Naturally is the single promotional voice that tells the story of food and drink produced in County Wicklow. It is a brand created to celebrate the food and drink producers who work hard to deliver high-quality products to consumers through the hospitality sector, retail, food and drink events and essential tourism events.
Latest News – You can learn more about our members’ stories at https://wicklownaturally.ie/food-and-drink/ and by following us on social media: https://www.facebook.com/WicklowNaturally/, https://twitter.com/WicklowNatural1, or https://www.instagram.com/wicklownaturally/.
Photo by Andres Poveda and courtesy of Powerscourt Distillery.